Serving suggestion: add a little hot sauce (ex/Sriracha chili sauce) to a little mayonnaise (to your taste and spiciness preference) to serve as a sauce for your salmon cakes!
Makes: ~6 salmon cakes
– 1 can salmon
– Canola or vegetable oil
– Optional: flour
Fresh or frozen:
– 2-3 slices stale bread (the ends work really well for this!) cut into very fine pieces or breadcrumbs
– 1 egg
– 1/2 a medium-sized onion, diced
– Optional: 1/2 a red bell pepper, diced
– Optional: paprika, Italian seasoning
– Medium-sized mixing bowl
– Frying pan
– Baking sheet (if you would like to bake your salmon cakes)
– Paper towel
1) Saute onion and pepper in frying pan until tender.
2) Preheat oven to 375 degrees Celsius (if baking your salmon cakes)
3) Add sauteed onion, pepper, bread pieces/breadcrumb, salmon, egg, and seasonings to the mixing bowl. Blend well with a fork.
4) Shape mixture into patties with your hands (optional step: very lightly coat each patty in flour if you want to fry them)
5) Place patties on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown, OR fry at medium heat with a drizzle of oil in a frying pan until firm throughout and golden brown on the outside.
6) Remove patties from oven or frying pan and place on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.