Banana and oatmeal are a match made in heaven. Enjoy these yummy muffins for breakfast or as a snack–kids love them, and they’ll love helping out in the kitchen, too!
Makes ~12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups white or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Cooking spray or oil to grease the muffin pan
- 3 overripe bananas
- 1/2 cup milk (any milk of your choice–soy, almond, rice, etc.)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Optional: 1/2 cup grated carrots or zucchini
- Optional: 1 cup blueberries or walnuts
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12-cup muffin pan
- 2 mixing bowls
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas very well, then stir in applesauce, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and stir until just combined. At this point, you can fold in the optional ingredients (berries, nuts, carrots, zucchini).
- Pour batter evenly into 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of each muffin comes out clean.