More delicious legume recipes to enjoy as soon as possible! 😉
Cheesy Macaroni, Tomatoes, and Beans
This dish takes a little more prep and cooking time than some of our other suggestions, but it’s well worth the wait! For a faster version, you can cover the casserole dish (with something microwave safe, NOT tin foil) and microwave on high for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- 1 cup macaroni (uncooked)
- 1 can kidney or Romano beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- Optional: 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: 3 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- Large (2L) casserole dish
- Frying pan
- Oven or microwave
- Spray a large (about 2L) casserole dish with non-stick coating (or brush on some oil or margarine).
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes (or until soft). Transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
- Add beans, macaroni, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, water, salt and pepper to casserole dish. Stir well.
- Cover and bake in 350F oven for 45 minutes or until macaroni is tender. May need to add some water if the macaroni gets dry.
Tomato Bean Pasta Sauce
(Because seriously, you can never go wrong with pasta, right?) You can keep this in covered containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 2 months (zipper-lock freezer bags work well).
- 1 can red kidney or Romano beans, mashed
- 1 can (5.5oz) tomato paste
- 1 can (~500mL) vegetable stock
- 1 tsp oil (canola or olive)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Optional: 6 mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Optional: 1 tsp each thyme, basil, oregano, OR 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- In a saucepan/pot, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, and mushrooms (optional), stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Optional: Stir in thyme, basil, oregano, (or Italian Seasoning) and cook for about 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato paste, beans, and stock until well-mixed. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately over pasta or rice.
White Kidney Bean and Tomato Casserole
A simple meal for two (or for one, with leftovers for lunch the next day!) that you can whip up in minutes! You can have it hot or cold, with a side of salad greens!
- 1 tbsp oil (canola or olive)
- 1 can white kidney beans, drained
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, with seeds removed and coarsely chopped
- Optional: 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp basil
- Optional: 1/2 tsp oregano
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender.
- Stir in garlic, tomato, and green pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in basil, oregano, kidney beans, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes or until heated through and flavours blend.
- Stir in parsley (optional).