Lentils are high in protein and fibre and low in fat. They are also a great source of iron and other vitamins as well!
- 1 tbsp oil (olive or canola)
- 1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Optional: thyme (dried or fresh)
- Optional: 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Medium pot
- Wooden spoon
- Optional: Blender
- In medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots, and minced garlic. Cook until softened (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add lentils, stock, herbs (thyme, bay leaves) to pot.
- Bring to a boil and turn the heat to low to simmer.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes (until lentils are softened).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend in small batches, if desired.