Suggestion: Use Italian sausage (hot or mild) for this recipe–if it’s on sale at the grocery store it is very inexpensive and when you use it everything is pre-seasoned for you!
– 1 can cream of mushroom soup
Fresh or frozen:
– Mashed potatoes (potatoes, butter or margarine)
– Ground meat of your choice (ex/ground beef, ground chicken, sausage)
– Veggies (any that you can find), diced (a mixture of frozen peas, carrots, and corn works very well in this!)
– Onion, diced
– Optional: Grated cheese
– Optional: Italian seasoning, salt
– Casserole dish/baking dish
– Large pot
– Potato masher or a really strong fork
1) Microwave potatoes on high, covered with a microwave-safe cover or a paper towel until a fork slides easily all the way through.
2) Mash the potatoes with butter or margarine, to your preference of taste and texture.
3) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
4) Saute onion, meat, veggies, and seasoning in a large pot until everything is cooked through (there should be no pinkish colour to the meat!)
5) Add can of cream of mushroom soup and ~1/2 a can of milk; stir well.
6) Let the filling mixture simmer until it is the desired thickness.
7) Divide the mashed potatoes in half; press one half of the mashed potatoes into a lightly greased casserole dish/baking dish.
8) Spoon the filling over the first layer of potatoes.
9) Spoon the remaining potatoes over the filling and gently spread it with a fork to create the top layer of potatoes.
10) Optional: Sprinkle the top with grated cheese.
11) Bake for 15-20 minutes until top layer of potatoes is browned and sauce is bubbly.
12) Let cool for ~5 minutes before serving.